Renovation Project # 3

Welcome to my celebration of successes and reflections on setbacks, as well as progress on my newest and most exciting venture ever!

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Calling All Electricians!

A good electrician is worth his weight in gold - around here, at least. I've heard other people's horror stories about how hard it is to even get a call back from electricians, plumbers, carpenters and the like, but I thought that was just an exaggeration - not so!

My first call (that was back in Nov.) was to my old stand-by, who has wired my 2 previous projects - and did a fine job. I caught him at a good time. He said he'd be able to provide a quote in Jan. and may--be do the work in Feb. Ah, good, I thought! And then bad weather, alas, sickness, and eventually came the disappointing call - can't get to it - too far behind as it is . . .

My second call - at beginning of March - (to someone new, but highly recommended). Perhaps could quote for me in April, but couldn't get to the actual work until May or. . .

Third call I struck lucky - I guess - The fellows came to quote within a week and, while I'm not thrilled with their price, they insist they can do the work in April! Hmmmm - What's a landlord to do? Take a chance on someone who, unlike his counterparts, seems able to get to my project right away OR hold out for someone you know and trust and maybe not have the work done before "V" Day (vacationer arrives from Arizona to take possession).

As I've noticed with other projects - and maybe you'll recognize this as well, the time it takes to accomplish a task is equal to the time you have to complete the task - and not a minute before. So, guess I'll try to get a jump on this one and go with the 'April' guys - keep your fingers crossed for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment